You are here
Home > Seine-Maritime > The other Dunkirk

The other Dunkirk

A few short years before D-Day, another terrible battle took place in Normandy, just 100 miles north east of those famous beaches, around Veules-les-Roses and Saint-Valéry-en-Caux.

Match for our vintage postcard of Veules-les-Roses
Match for our vintage postcard of Veules-les-Roses

It’s not talked about much in England and until our visit we had no idea about the events of 11 & 12 June 1940, until a vintage postcard took us up a deserted track for an unclear match through the trees to the town below.

The match is unremarkable, except to highlight long lost suburban tidiness now replaced with a more relaxed attitude towards foliage.

Shocking history

Before looking for our match we parked at the top of the cliffs overlooking Saint-Valéry-en-Caux and walked towards edge to find out why two huge guns were placed there looking out across the Channel. A pretty sea sparkled below and the small harbour looked peaceful in early autumn sunlight.

Then we read the information board by the old guns and everything sort of stopped.  The board in French and English didn’t go into much detail, it didn’t have to.

From Veules-les-Roses to Saint-Valéry-en-Caux is the site of one of the most terrible defeats of WW2 and heroism we can only imagine.

Part of the memorial above Veules-les-Roses
Part of the memorial overlooking Saint-Valéry-en-Caux

Holding back the German war machine

History we learn in school, or from films and occasional newspaper articles, hails the courage of rescuers and the rescued from Dunkirk between 27 May and 4 June 1940. A tidy story that often fails to mention the thousands of British troops left behind in France. Or the appalling weeks they faced, brave but vastly outnumbered by the German war machine.

One group that would not be leaving with the main body of the British Expeditionary Force (British forces in Europe, so called at the start of the war) evacuated at Dunkirk was largely made up of the 51st Highland Infantry Division.

General Victor Fortune’s 51st Highland were fighting as an integral part of the French 9th army, tasked with holding back the German army for as long as possible from the Maginot Line, back via the Somme, to the strategically important town of Abbeville and finally aiming for the Channel coast to be evacuated and redeployed.

The division was made up of the 2nd Seaforths, 1st Gordons, 4th Camerons, 4th Seaforths, 5th Gordons, 1st Black Watch, the Lothians, Norfolks and the 6th Battalion, Royal Scots Fusiliers (Pioneers).

Winston Churchill had placed the 51st Highland under French command assuring the French that Britain would ‘never abandon her ally in her hour of need’.

10 June 1940

As soon as General Fortune realised the 152nd and 153rd Brigades would not be able to reach Le Havre he made the decision to lead his troops, with a fair number of French solders (who had horses not tanks) to the small coastal port of Saint-Valéry-en-Caux.  Still hoping for an orderly evacuation, General Fortune alerted the Navy at 4am on 10 June.

He was unaware just how aggressively they were being pursued by the 5th and 7th Panzer Divisions. Hitler was desperate to avoid another Dunkirk.

Positions around Saint-Valéry-en-Caux and Veules-les-Roses, 10 - 12 June 1940
Positions around Saint-Valéry-en-Caux and Veules-les-Roses, 10 – 12 June 1940

11 June 1940

By 11 June troops were organised into a horseshoe shape from Veules-les-Roses across to the far side of Saint-Valéry-en-Caux, but there were gaps.  There was also no sign of the Royal Navy.  Soon the Panzer divisions were attacking from the West.

Still hopeful, at 10am General Fortune sent an order outlining the proposed evacuation:

“The Navy will probably make an effort to take us off by boat, perhaps to-night, perhaps in two nights. I wish all ranks to realise that this can only be achieved by the full co-operation of everyone. Men may have to walk five or six miles. The utmost discipline must prevail.

“Men will board the boats with equipment and carrying arms. Vehicles will be rendered useless without giving away what is being done. Carriers should be retained as the final rearguard. Routes back to the nearest highway should be reconnoitred and officers detailed as guides. Finally, if the enemy should attack before the whole force is evacuated, all ranks must realise that it is up to them to defeat them. He may attack with tanks, and we have quite a number of anti-tank guns behind. If the infantry can stop the enemy’s infantry, that is all that is required, while anti-tank guns and rifles inflict casualties on armoured fighting vehicles.”

View down to Saint-Valéry-en-Caux from the cifftop
View down to Saint-Valéry-en-Caux from the clifftop

Marching into hell

Both towns are in valleys between steep cliffs.   As troops were pushed aggressively back by superior fire power and numbers, there was nowhere to escape.  Each town had been reduced to a chaotic inferno by the enemy who kept up an onslaught of shelling, mortars, machine gun fire, grenades and even flame throwers.

Up on the cliffs, in spite of fierce defence, the 7th Panzers soon held cliff-top ground overlooking each harbour, making an evacuation highly dangerous.

The weather was also against them, thick fog kept 209 ships of the Royal Navy far out into the channel and as his men faced terrible odds, General Fortune was unable to contact their rescuers.

Battle lights up the night sky

The battle did not stop as night fell.  Under constant fire they endured a terrible night.  At dawn many tried for the few boats they could see offshore, far fewer than were needed.

A soldier remembers

Those who reached the seashore edged along the foot of the cliffs with the hope of a sea rescue had to step around bodies of lost allies.

We had to keep close in to the rocks and avoid attracting machine gun fire from the cliff top. As it was there were places where we could only advance by diving from cover to cover. As we progressed we came across the body of many of our soldiers and Frenchmen who had been caught in the cross-fire of the guns. Some lay at the water’s edge, washed by the tide. Others were poised in standing or crouching positions against the rocks where they had been shot.  They looked so lifelike that we approached several of them to talk to them only to find their eyes sightless and their bodies rigid in death.“ Lt-Gen Sir Derek Lang.

At Veules-les-Roses soldiers fell down cliffs attempting to get away from the advancing Panzer Divisions, after tying whatever they had together to make a rope.

Troops had tried to descend the three hundred foot high cliffs… few could have succeeded judging by the smashed bodies lying on the beach while a hundred and fifty feet above we could see the frayed ends of their ropes” Lt-Gen Sir Derek Lang.

The cliffs by Veules-les-Roses, the guns and monument can just be seen on top.
The cliffs by Veules-les-Roses, the guns and monument can just be seen on top.

12 June 1940; victory, death, or…

From the top of the cliffs the 7th Panzer Division shelled everything they saw.  Down below General Fortune was still unable to contact the Royal Navy.

The Cerons took 300 soldiers before running fatally groundThe Cerons took 300 soldiers before running fatally aground

The Highlanders were prepared to fight on to victory or to death.  French officers did not like the odds of either option.  At 8am on the foggy morning of 12 June 1940 the French army surrendered.

General Fortune realised the British position was now hopeless and further sacrifice would be pointless. His men were exhausted; they had been fighting almost continuously since 27 May at Abbeville.  They were short of ammunition, surrounded and vastly outnumbered.  There would be no rescue by sea.

In an act of great courage General Fortune made the most difficult decision of his career. The decision to surrender.

General Rommel accepted the surrender of the 51st Highland Division, at Saint-Valéry-en-Caux.

Major General V M Fortune, GOC [General Commanding Officer] 51st Highland Division (right), with General Major Erwin Rommel at St. Valéry after the surrender of the 51st Division to Rommel's 7th Panzer Division (12th June 1940)
Major General V M Fortune, GOC [General Commanding Officer] 51st Highland Division (right), with General Major Erwin Rommel at Saint-Valéry-en-Caux after the surrender of the 51st Division to Rommel’s 7th Panzer Division 12 June 1940

The pain of surrender

When General Fortune sent down the order for his troops to surrender some refused thinking it a German trick. As they realised the awful truth initial disbelief was replaced by shock and some broke down in exhausted tears.

A few soldiers to the west of the town managed to escape and a few made it on foot to Le Havre and were evacuated.  Others made their way through to Spain, Gibraltar before finally sailing home.

For most escape was impossible.  Over 1000 had been killed and 4000 wounded. 8,000 were quickly marched into Germany and Poland to spend the rest of the war working in fields, factories and the salt mines of Thuringia alongside inmates of the Nazi concentration camps, as slave labour.

End of the Battle of France

The defeat of the 51st Highland Division was the end of British resistance in the Battle of France.  On 22 June France and Germany would sign an Armistice, Normandy was under Occupation.

Return to Saint-Valéry-en-Caux

12 June 1940 was not the end of the 51st Highland Division – it was later reformed by some of the men who escaped and other regiments.  After showing exceptional courage notably at Al Alamein, on 7 June 1944 they landed on Sword Beach, Normandy. It is estimated the 51st lost 25% of their soldiers in the bitter Caen-Falaise battle.

As the Allies determinedly pushed back the German army, the 51st were chosen for a special task by Field Marshal Montgomery.  He held back advancing Canadian troops so they could carry it out.

On 2nd September 1944 the 51st Highland Division marched into Saint-Valéry-en-Caux.  The 152 and 153 Brigades were allocated the positions of the old brigades in 1940.  They were met by the Mayor and welcoming crowds.  The little seaside town was free again.

Monument to the 51st Highland Division, made from stone quarried at Balmoral, Aberdeenshire
Monument to the 51st Highland Division at Saint-Valéry-en-Caux, made from stone quarried at Balmoral, Aberdeenshire


The 51st return


The bravery of the 51st Highlanders and the bond they forged with French Armoured Division while fighting at Abbeville played an important part in General Charles de Gaulle’s decision to continue the war and lead the Free French forces, fighting on the side of the Allies.  De Gaulle stated: ‘For my part, I can say that the comradeship of arms, sealed on the battlefield of Abbeville in May–June 1940, between the French armoured division, which I had the honour to command, and the gallant 51st Scottish Division under General Fortune, played its part in the decision which I made to continue the fight at the side of the Allies, to the end, come what may’.

As a prisoner of war, Major Fortune stayed with his men, famously refusing repatriation after suffering a stroke.  He worked tirelessly to try and secure for prisoners of war what they needed in the camps.  He won the admiration of his own men and the Germans who oversaw. Victor Fortune died in 1949 fully recognised for his courage and dedication; Major-General Sir Victor Morven Fortune KBE, CB, DSO.

Today, the proud legacy of the 51st Highland Division lives on in 51 (Scottish) Brigade, the current Headquarters Brigade of 2 UK Division, based at Stirling Castle.

Monument at Veules-les-Roses - it is carved in French, Gaelic and English
Monument at Saint-Valéry-en-Caux, carved in French, Gaelic and English

Visit Veules-les-Roses

There is no military museum, you can’t buy the usual memorial coins. But at the top of the cliffs to the north you will see a powerful monument that helps to keep this important story alive.  The anniversary of liberation is enthusiastically celebrated.

On top of the cliffs Veules-les-Roses
On top of the cliffs Saint-Valéry-en-Caux

Find out more

Lots online about the proud history of the 51st Highland Division.

Secondhand copies can still be found online of Lt-Gen Sir Derek Lang’s remarkable war dairy “Return to St Valery: An Escape through Wartime France” published in 1974 but written from notes made just months after the war.

Beneath the 51st memorial at Veules-les-Roses
Beneath the 51st memorial at Saint-Valéry-en-Caux

34 thoughts on “The other Dunkirk

  1. My wife’s grandfather, John Anderson, was in the 8th Battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders and from Campbeltown. He won the MM in 1943 in Italy as a Sergeant but was wounded and died in 1944. According to newspaper reports of his MM award and his death, he was evacuated from St Valery in 1940. We have no further information but would love to hear how he escaped and why he might have been at St Valery and not Le Havre.

  2. my father andrew valentine mcgougan argyle and sutherand’s captured at st valery, taken prisoner of war/ prisoner of war number 13538 stalag 206, marienburg

  3. I am trying to find out any information about the soldiers who escaped from St Valery and how they managed it. My late father was at St Valery and got home somehow, I am trying to find out how.
    My father was in the 51st Highland Div. Thats all I know as he never spoke about the war. He had 5 boys and lastly a girl who was called Valery after St Valery . The amount of telling offs I got at school when I spelt her name the French way.
    A few years ago whilst out and about I met a gentle man called Bill Stirton and after chatting for a while discovered he was at St Valery with my dad, he produced a photograph of himself and a few fellow soldiers including my dad, dated august 1941 after St Valery. Sadly Bill has since passed away but I felt privellaged to have met him and spend some time with him. So if anyone has information on how they escaped I would be gratetful

    1. A memoire of three Ballachulish escapees

      Kenneth MacColl, who works with Jim Mather, has given us this memoire of the escape of three men form Ballchulish after the surrender of the 51st Highland Division. Ken met two of these men when he was a young boy and heard their story first hand.

      ‘One group of prisoners that escaped from the POW column after capture at St Valery were three men from Ballachulish, close to my birthplace of Kinlochleven.

      ‘They were members of ‘C’ Company of the 8th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders –

      ‘They created a diversion then slipped out of the line, hiding under a bridge until the detachment had disappeared.

      ‘They then headed south and east, living off the land and their wits, getting involved in some alarming escapades including, at one time, coming across a deserted monastery complete with wine cellar!! The more staid member of the threesome had some difficulty in persuading his companions that they should move on.

      ‘Stopped on several occasions they passed themselves off as ‘Russians’ or from the East by vaguely indicating that they were from the East and speaking only in Gaelic.

      ‘They were helped by partisans and by locals as they crossed the Pyrenees in atrocious weather.

      ‘After a catalogue of adventures they eventually got to neutral Portugal and a freighter that, via Gibraltar not Portugal, delivered them back to the Clyde.

      ‘As a small boy I was thrilled to meet two of the three: ‘Ginger’ Wilson, who was working in the North Ballachulish Hotel after the war; and ‘Big’ Kemp – his name was Willie, who was later in the Police in Glasgow. (The third man was Corporal MacDonald, also from Ballachulish.)

      ‘All three are long gone although I understand that they were belatedly decorated for their exploits.

  4. My grandad was in the Norfolk Regiment that was attached to the 51st. His war records say he was a POW in Germany until the autumn of 1943 when he was repatriated due to ill health (TB). Its really difficult to find any details surrounding the events of his repatriation and details about his hospital stay once home.

  5. My Grandfather Gnr James William Preston, also with 1RHA attached the 51Hd, went on the long march, and was forced to work in the Salt mines with some Polish POW, said the Germans never went down there with them due to the number of ‘accudents’ They had when guarding the Poles.

  6. My Dad Lorraine Hughes born Barry South Wales, served with the 51st Highland Division London Scottish in WW2. He did come home at wars end and then worked like blazes. He rarely spoke of his experiences except amusing ones. It seems from what he did say that everywhere there was a battle, he was in it. He did come home and then worked like blazes to support his family. If any one knows of him I would really like to hear of his exploits.
    Peter Hughes

    *Chatting with Peter he added that fellow veterans called his Dad ‘Padre’. If you knew Lorraine Hughes, or have heard about his war time exploits, please do get in touch and we’ll put you in touch with Peter.

  7. Named after St Valery, I was born June 15, 1951, after my father Harry returned from 5 yrs in a pow camp – post the battle at St Valery, and after also participating as a rear gunner at Dunkirk. I have written a book about my experience with this man as my
    Dad, who died when I was 19, after we had emigrated to Australia. The rigours and sadness of Post War Syndrome were undoubtedly felt by millions involved in the World Wars, and we are only just now getting an understanding of the effect of war upon generations, and generations after them. Hats off, to all those young and older guys. We appreciate our freedom so much!
    Valery Murphy

  8. You might also like a postscript – some of the men of the 51st who were captured after Dunkirk ended up in Laufen Castle, near Strasbourg – and to exercise they created a Scottish dance, the Reel of the 51st, written by Lieutenant J.E.M. ‘Jimmy’ Atkinson of the 7th Battalion The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders . His idea of a reel with a Saint Andrew′s Cross in its key formation was intended to symbolise Scotland and the Highland Division, in adversity. Atkinson’s letter home with instructions for the dance was intercepted by the German security service, the Abwehr, who spent the rest of the war trying to break the code. However, I was told when learning the dance that the men sent coded letters to their wives and sweethearts who put the dance together and so, when returned, they were able to dance with their loved ones. , It is a lovely reel to dance, although it is often danced in a set composed entirely of men.

  9. My dad was one of English soldiers attached to the 51st HD.
    Thomas Wilson R A, 1st Regiment R H A attached to the 51st H D in 1939, he told me that they had to destroy the guns etc once they knew it was over for them and their leader had surrendered, my Dad was not very fond of the French soldiers. He spent all the rest of the war as a P O W in Stalag VID Dortmund XX1 B Schubin, in 1944 they moved to XXB/C/Z.
    I don’t know if he was on the long march but from what I know rescued on the Lunaberger side and within 3 days was back in Bulford Camp.
    PS my Dad never hated the German people he did say that times were hard but he liked the farm work when he got it I even have a photo of the German family that he worked for.
    One little thing, after a good few years working one day he fell down, they found a brain tumor. Some said it could have been from the rifle buts and bad treatment during his POW times, he ended up with a shunt to the brain to drain fluids and lived until late 70tys. It’s been great to read this post.

  10. My grandfather who was in the Black Watch at St Valery, also told us of escaping from St Valery by tying their rifle straps together to climb down the cliffs.

    1. My father was also qt ST VALERY and escaped, Im trying to find out how they got home to UK,did boats come for them? Any ideas?

  11. Visiting Veules-les Roses on 4th. October, where – in Autumn ’44 – my wife’s uncle Captain Angus Stewart (an Argyll, but ADC to Colonel Rennie of Black Watch) came back from the Rhine to attend unveiling of monument to 51st. Highland Div. in gratitude for their attempt to protect the villagers in those terrible days of June’40……..where his older brother Dugald was taken prisoner.
    Have prepared history of Angus’s war, and are going to leave a copy with the Mayor. Angus died in April this year, but (having gone in on D-Day) was awarded Legion d’Honneur on his 95th. birthday in April 2016, by French consul for SW England.

  12. My Dad William Albert Hogg ( known as Bert ) and sadly now deceased was with the Lothians and Border Horse at St Valery. He was Corporal, Tank Driver with HQ Company and was with Colnels Ansell and Younger just before the surrender. They split up into smaller parties. My Dad enjoyed the delights of Bad Sulza. Younger was killed and Ansell was badly wounded and blinded. In my youth he was on TV annually at the Horse of the Year Show.

    Maybe the could make a sequel to Dunkirk all about the 51st. But if one reads Saul David’s excellent book on this subject I am sure that the ‘establishment’ will close ranks.

    Still, Dad was a proud Lothian to his dying day!

  13. My father did not talk much about his war experiences but his health was affected post war.He was a regular army soldier from Wales recalled just after marrying.He was in Scotland and was part of the51 st highland division as a dispatch rider.I have heard him describe how a group of men tied their rifle straps together scaled down the cliff found an old rowing boat in a cave .. with no oars and set out to sea rowing with helmets.they were eventually picked up by a Dutch boat and taken to Poole in Dorset.He said I didn’t want to spend the rest of the war in a P,o,w, camp.That is the only report I have heard him talking about I have been to the cliff top memorial more than once.My dad later was in n.Africa ,Sicily,Italy and Europe….he was a further info I regret

  14. Nice write up on the events in St Valery – this deserves as much publicity as possible as yet again Dunkirk – the film – takes all the attention. 51st Highland division also included the 7th & 8th battalions of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. My father was in the 8th battalion captured at Chateau de Belloy on the Somme on June 7th 1940 and thereafter 5 years in Stalag IXC in Bad Sulza, nr Leipzig before being liberated by the Americans on 3rd April 1945..

    1. Hello

      could you contact me please, I am interested in the story of your father.
      I live a few kilometers from Chateau de Belloy.

      best regards


      1. My father Private Angus Gunn C Coy 8th Btn A&SH was one of the 150-170 men who held out at Belloy and on the 8th June 1940 surrendered to the Germans.They then spent 5 years as POWs inSilesia and Germany.Three of them escaped and made their way to Spain before being repatriated to the UK.Almost all of C Coy came from the Ballachulish area of Argyll and although they all knew each other I rarely heard them discussing their experiences.

      2. Dear Mathieu
        Please forgive me for not replying sooner – I have not returned to this page for a long time. Very happy to share any other information which may be of interest.
        My e-mail is
        Best wishes

  15. Excellent web site telling the detailed story of the Highland Division. Just one small point, the Highland Division Memorial is on the cliffs upove St Valery en Caux and not Veules-les-Roses as indicated above!

      1. Thank you. The memorial stone in the picture is in honour of my father who went through the hell of St Valery and then spent 5 years as a POW

Leave a Reply

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.